Holocaust or Hoax?
by Jürgen Graf
WHAT IF THE REVISIONISTS ARE RIGHT?
Let's just assume that the official "truth" on the Holocaust is a lie, and that the revisionists are right. The result would be a recognition that there was indeed a PERSECUTION OF JEWS under the Third Reich, but no deliberate EXTERMINATION OF JEWS; that the gas chambers and gas vans were an invention of atrocity propaganda, just like the children with their hands chopped off during the First World War; that not five to six million, but less than one million Jews died in the areas under German control; that of these Jewish victims, only a small percentage were killed, while the rest died chiefly of epidemics and deprivation in the camps and ghettos. What would be the result of this revelation? They are easy to imagine:
- a worldwide wave of anti-Jewish feeling;
- a wave of nationalism in Germany: politicians, intellectuals, historians and journalists would be held up to contempt by their own people;
- the renewed possibility of an objective, factual discussion of National Socialism. We might, as a result, even be able to borrow some of their constructive measures in dealing with the problems of unemployment, the declining birth rate, and wide-spread drug addiction;
- nationalism, in the sense of a true representation of national interests and a defence of the national identity, would regain its legitimacy. The Germans could again say, without shame, "Germany for the Germans!" The French could again say, without shame, "France for the French!". The psychological and political factors which have enabled mass invasion from the Third World, would disappear;
- the rulers and manipulators of public opinion would be discredited, not only in Germany, but throughout the West. People would ask themselves why this whole charade had to be propped up with censorship and brute force for so many decades, and in whose interests. Trust in the ruling cliques would be seriously shaken -- at a time of serious social and economic crisis to which the "democracies" have no answer.
We see that a general realization that Holocaust is a lie would have devastating implications, not only for international Jewry and the state of Israel, but for the political and intellectual ruling cliques of the entire Western world -- particularly in Germany! The result would be an re-evaluation of all values, to borrow a term from Friedrich Nietzche. Everything would be different. Everything would have to re-examined.
WHAT REALLY HAPPENED?
Prior to 1941: The Reichs Government demands Jewish emigration
The Jewish policies of the NSDAP, from the very outset, aimed at continually reducing Jewish influence in Germany and at encouraging as many German Jews to emigrate as possible. This initial objective was pursued from 1933 onwards by means of numerous laws and decrees which limited the number of Jews among lawyers, doctors, etc. by means of quotas, and which restricted the economic and political rights of the Jews. This continued, until at least 1938, practically without violence; until the Night of Broken Glass (1), not one Jew was ever sent to a camp just for being a Jew. If Jews were sent to camps, it was for militant anti-governmental political activity or for common crime (2).
To encourage Jewish emigration, the National Socialists worked closely with Zionist organizations, which were interested in encouraging the emigration to Palestine of as many Jews as possible. This National Socialist-Zionist cooperation has been fully documented by several authors (3), and to our knowledge is not disputed by anyone.
Since the British mandate over Palestine effectively prevented Jewish immigration of Jews to that country, Jewish emigration took place very slowly; the majority of German Jews preferred other immigration countries, particularly the USA. But the USA also placed obstacles in the path of Jewish immigration (4).
By 1941, however, the great majority of German and Austrian Jews had gone into exile.
After 1941: Mass deportation to camps and ghettos
In 1941, Jewish emigration was officially prohibited. This prohibition was not, however, consistently implemented in practice. The deportation of Jews to work camps and ghettos began in 1941. This occurred for two reasons in particular: first, the Germans needed their labour, since a majority of German men were at the front. Secondly, the Jews indisputably represented a security risk. The Jew Arno Lustiger, a former resistance fighter and survivor of several camps, has proudly boasted that Jews represented 15% of all active resistance, yet the percentage of Jews in the French population at that time was no more than 1%. The Communist "Red Orchestra" espionage organization, which did caused Germany enormous harm, was made up mostly of Jews (6).
Other states have interned suspicious minorities with far less justification: thus, in the USA, all persons of Japanese ancestry, even those with American passports, were interned in camps (7). This was done even though there was never a single case of espionage or subversion by Japanese-Americans, as admitted by Ronald Reagan decades later.
The Jews in individual German-ruled countries suffered from the deportation to a widely varying extent. Disproportionately hard-hit were the Dutch Jews, of whom more than two thirds were deported. On the other hand, according to Serge Klarsfeld, only 75,721 Jews were deported from France. This corresponds to approximately one fifth of the total Jewish population at that time (8); of these, a great many were deported, not on the grounds of their religion or race, but for being resistance fighters or criminals. This often led to deportation for non-Jews as well.
The death rate in the camps and its causes
The death rate in the camps was extremely high most of the time. A majority of these fatalities were due to disease. The most dangerous of these was epidemic typhus, a disease carried by lice. The insecticide Zyklon B, together with other products, was used to combat lice.
In Auschwitz, the largest concentration camp -- the term "extermination camp" is not the correct expression -- epidemic typhus was especially dangerous in late summer and autumn. The epidemic reached its climax between 7-11 September 1942, with an average of 375 inmate deaths a day. By the first half of January 1943, the Germans succeeded in reducing the death rate to 107 a day; but by mid-May, it rose again to 298 fatalities a day (9).
In the Western camps, the worst period was during the final phase of the war, when mass deaths from epidemic disease claimed tens of thousands of victims. At the same time, the German infrastructure totally collapsed as a result of Allied terror bombing, leading to shortages in the camps of medications, food, housing, and everything else. In his memoires, Chuck Yeager, the first pilot to break the sound barrier, describes how his squadron had orders to shoot at everything that moved (10):
"Germany could not so easily be divided into innocent civilians and guilty soldiers. After all, the farmer on his potato patch was feeding German soldiers."
This means that the resulting starvation was deliberately created by the Allies through their cruel and illegal mass terror bombings; these same Allies then hypocritically set themselves up as judges over the defeated enemy for failing to supply enough food to concentration camp inmates!
Particularly horrible conditions, including thousands of unburied bodies and living skeletons, were found in April 1945 by the British at Bergen-Belsen. These photographs are kept constantly before the public eye in ceaseless propaganda campaigns to this very today. What are the facts?
Belsen Camp commander Josef Kramer repeatedly and vehemently protested to his superiors that new inmates were constantly being sent to the hopelessly overcrowded camp of Belsen; his protests went unheard. Instead of simply abandoning the inmates in the Eastern camps to the Soviets, the National Socialists evacuated them to the West and allocated them among the Western camps to prevent their manpower from falling into the hands of the Soviets. Since the railways had been almost entirely destroyed, the evacuation process often lasted weeks; many inmates died en route from the bitter cold winter weather. In the camps which were compelled to receive the remainder, conditions worsened by the day.
Kramer's protests went unheard. In Belsen, typhus and dysentery spread everywhere, and food shortages became acute.
What should Kramer have done? Release the inmates to spread epidemics among the civilian population? Who would have fed them then if he had? Should he have released dangerous criminals -- who were imprisoned together with other inmates interned for political and racial reasons -- to prey upon the population? Kramer decided to wait it out. He could have attempted to escape to South American with money stolen from the prisoners, but he trusted to British "fair play". He was to pay dearly for his naivete. Branded as "The Beast of Belsen" in the Allied press, he was executed after a legal farce (11).
Disproportionately great numbers of victims died in the last months of the war in the other camps as well. At Dachau, a total of 15,389 people died between January and April 1945, i.e., more deaths in 3 months than in 5 years of war -- 12,060 inmate deaths from 1940 to 1944. Another 2,000 died even after the liberation of Dachau by the Americans (12).
Since the Holocaust, i.e., the planned extermination of the Jews, is supposed to have stopped in the autumn of 1944 (13), the mass deaths in the camps in 1945 prove nothing with regards to any "mass extermination". The mass deaths depicted in photographs were the tragic, but inevitable, result of the German collapse, and had nothing to do with any planned genocide -- quite in contrast to the Allied bombing war against the German (and Japanese) civilian population. The destruction of one small city like Pforzheim alone, shortly before the end of the war, caused 17,000 deaths (14). More people died in Pforzheim in one February evening in 1945 -- most of them burnt alive -- than in Dachau in 9 years, from late 1933 to late 1944.
Of course, Jews died outside the concentration camps as well. According to one Jewish source, a total of 43,411 people died in the ghetto of Lodz between the autumn of 1939 and the autumn of 1944. There were 26,950 recorded fatalities in the Warsaw ghetto even before the outbreak of the uprising (spring 1943) (15). Some of these people, of course, would have died of natural causes (for example, old age) in any case. Other Jews died in combat or during the evacuation.
Mass shootings on the Eastern front
Finally, it would never occur to any revisionist to dispute that many Jews were shot on the Eastern front. But what exactly is meant by the word "many"? 20,000? 50,000? 100,000?. We do not know, due to the absence of reliable source material. (The Einsatzgruppen reports, which are supposed to prove that millions of murders were committed on the Eastern front, will be discussed below.) These shootings were the inevitable reaction to the murderous, illegal partisan war unleashed by the Soviets behind the German lines. The Germans reacted exactly like the French in Algeria, the Americans in Viet Nam, and the Soviets in Afghanistan: with ruthless brutality, causing many deaths among the civilian population. Of course, partisans were executed (which is permitted by international law); of course, there were also frequent shootings of hostages, involving many more Jews than non-Jews. Many other Jews were killed as "suspected Bolsheviks", even if they were neither partisans nor hostages -- exactly as the Americans, decades later, bombarded "Viet-Cong suspected zones" with napalm, slaughtering innumerable harmless civilians with bestial cruelty in the process.
In the USSR as elsewhere, the Jewish percentage of armed partisans far exceeded their percentage share of the population; this fact is stressed with pride in Jewish literature (16). The reason why Jews in the German occupied areas of the Soviet Union suffered so many deaths was partisan warfare, not racial murder.
To sum up: Jews did indeed suffer severely during the Second World War and did indeed endure heavy losses. But people suffer and die in every war. The 250,000 people burnt alive or crushed under the rubble of Dresden in a single night suffered too; so did the hundreds of thousands of starving Russians in Stalingrad, or the 180,000 Poles who died in the crushing of the uprising of the Warsaw ghetto. Concentration camp inmates were not the only people who suffered; German and Russian soldiers at the front suffered, too.
Is Jewish suffering during WWII "unique"? Are the percentage losses of the Jews far higher than those of the other peoples especially hard hit by the war? In order to answer these questions, we must now turn to the proof for the alleged "Holocaust".
1) On the Night of Broken Glass, see, as standard work of the orthodox historiography, H. Graml's Der 9 November 1938. 'Reichskristallnacht', Bonn, 1958, and as the revisionist depiction, see Ingrid Weckert's Feuerzeichen (Grabert, 1981).
2) That no Jew was deported to a concentration camp during the early years of the NS regime, is confirmed by an unimpeachable source, namely the Jewish professor Arno Mayer (Der Krieg as Kreuzzug, Rowohlt, 1989, p. 200).
3) The two standard works on the National Socialist-Zionist cooperation are Edwin Black's The Transfer Argreement (New York/London, 1994), as well as Francis Nicosias' Hitler und der Zionismus (Druffel, Leoni, 1989). A short summary of the imprortant factors is given by Ingrid Weckert in Auswanderung der Juden aus dem Dritten Reich (Nordwind Verlag, Molevej 12, Kollund/DK). Heinz Hoehne also discusses the topic in his standard work on the SS (Der Orden unter dem Totenkopf, Gondrom, 1990).
4) In this regard, compare Ingrid Weckert, Auswanderung... (see note 3).
5) Spiegel, no. 7/1993.
6) On the "Red Orchestra", see for example, Gerd Sudholt, Das Geheimnis der Roten Kapelle, Druffel, Leoni, 1979.
7) Historische Tatsachen, no. 41.
8) Serge Klarsfeld, Le Memorial de la Deportation des Juifs de France, Beate Klarsfeld Foundation, Brussels/New York, 1982.
9) On the mortality figures in Auschwitz, see Jean-Claude Pressac, Die Krematorien von Auschwitz, Piper, 1994, p. 193.
10) Chuck Yeager, Yeager: An Autobiography, Bantam Books, New York, 1985, p. 79.
11) On Bergen-Belsen and Josef Kramer, see Journal of Historical Review, Post Office Box 2739, New Port Beach, CA, USA, spring 1995, as well as Robert Lenski, Der Holocaust vor Gericht, Samisdat Publishers, 206 Carlton Street, Toronto, Canada, 1993, p. 197, ff.
12) On the Dachau mortality statistics, see Paul Berben, Dachau, The Official History, The Norfolk Press, London, 1975.
13) According to the Enzyklopaedie des Holocaust (p. 118), the gassings at Auschwitz were stopped in October 1944.
14) Erich Kern, Verbrechen am deutschen Volk, K.W. Schuetz, 1983, p 150/151.
15) Historische Tatsachen, no. 36.
16) Compare the description in the Enzyklopaedie des Holocaust, p. 1584 ff.
Back to table of contents
To the next chapter
To previous chapter
Back to archive