Holocaust or Hoax?
by Jürgen Graf
IS TODAY'S VERSION OF THE HOLOCAUST ANY MORE BELIEVABLE THAN THOSE OF THE PAST?
The claims made by the standard literature
Today's version of the Holocaust (early 1997) runs as follows:
a) The extermination programme:
The objective of the National Socialists was the complete physical annihilation of all Jews located in their territories.
b) Implementation of the extermination programme
The Germans transported millions of Jews from all over Europe to Poland for the purpose of gassing them in "extermination camps" there.
c) The secrecy of the extermination programme
To camouflage their crimes, the Germans issued their murder orders orally or in camouflaged language only. In any case, all existing documents on the gas chambers and extermination of the Jews were destroyed just before the end of the war. That is why there are no clear documentary proofs of any Holocaust.
d) The six "extermination camps"
Auschwitz and Majdanek were a combination of "extermination" and work camps. All arriving Jews were selected: those who could work were used for compulsory labour, while those who could not, were sent to the gas chamber. By contrast, Chelmno, Sobibor, Belzec and Treblinka were pure "killing factories", in which every Jew was sent to the gas chambers unregistered; the only exceptions consisted of a handful of "working Jews" needed for the extermination process itself.
e) The murder weapon
The murder weapon at Auschwitz and Majdanek was the insecticide Zyklon B, in addition to which carbon monoxide was also used at Majdanek. Diesel exhaust gases were used for mass murder in the other four "extermination camps".
f) The number of victims and operating periods of the "extermination camps"
The number of victims of the extermination camps fluctuates enormously depending on which historian you read. The number of victims and the operating periods for each camp cited below have been taken from the Enzyklopaedie des Holocaust.
Chelmno: 152,000 to 320,000 victims. In operation: from December 1941 to March 1943 and, after an interruption of fifteen months, from 23 June 1944 to mid-July 1944.
Belzec: 600,000 victims. In operation: from March to December 1942.
Sobibor: about 250,000 victims. In operation: from May 1942 to September 1943.
Treblinka: 900,000 victims. In operation: from July 1942 to August 1943.
Majdanek: At least 250,000 (Jewish and non-Jewish) victims, including 40% gassed Jews. No mention of the period of operation for the gas chambers.
Auschwitz: Over a million gassed Jews, as well as a great many other Jewish and non-Jewish victims. Operating period for the gas chambers: main camp gas chamber in Auschwitz I from September 1941; farm houses at Birkenau three kilometers to the west of the main camp converted into gas chambers at a point in time in 1942 which is not exactly stated; gas chambers in the crematoria of Birkenau in operation from March 1943.
Auschwitz, originally planned solely as a work camp, is alleged to have been expanded into an "extermination camp" at a later time, because the other death factories for the extermination of the European Jews "were inefficient". To prove this, Holocaust scholars quote the confession of Auschwitz commandant Rudolf Hoess, who wrote in Polish imprisonment (1):
"In the summer of 1941, I cannot remember the exact date, I was suddenly summoned to the Reichsfuehrer SS, directly by his adjutant's office. Contrary to the usual custom, Himmler received me without his adjutant being present and said in effect: "The Fuehrer has ordered that the Jewish question be solved once and for all and that we, the SS, are to implement this order. The existing extermination centres in the East are not in a position to carry out the large actions which are anticipated .I have therefore earmarked Auschwitz..."
g) The destruction of the corpses
To hide the mass murders from the world, the bodies at all extermination camps are supposed to have been destroyed without a trace. At Auschwitz and Majdanek, this was done partly in crematoria, partly in the open. In Chelmno, in addition to cremations in the open, there is supposed to have been an underground crematorium (which has disappeared without a trace); in Treblinka, Sobibor, and Belzec, all the bodies were burnt in the open. The ashes and bone fragments were then scattered, so that no trace remained of the millions of victims.
Are the claims made by the standard literature believable?
Let us deal with these seven points briefly:
Everyday we hear about "Holocaust survivors" in the media. The Tageszeitung of Berlin of 30 March 1995, for example, states that, according to the film producer Steven Spielberg, there are still 300,000 former Jewish concentration camp inmates who are to be interviewed before the television cameras.
If the National Socialists had intended the physical extermination of the Jews, there wouldn't be any 300,000 former Jewish concentration camp inmates to be interviewed, but only about 300 at most. Maybe fewer. Finally, the National Socialists had more than enough time available to finish the job.
Not to put too fine a point on it, the story is simply not believable.
If the Germans had wanted to carry out a physical extermination of the Jews, they could have done so on the spot. They could have taken the Jews to pre-dug mass graves in German forests and shot them there. French Jews could have been shot in France, etc. The transport of millions of people halfway across Europe required trains which were urgently needed for troop transports.
Not to put too fine a point on it, this story is simply not believable either.
Mass murders at the locations called "extermination camps" and shown to tourists today could not have been kept secret anywhere near as easily as mass murders committed locally (for example, in German or French forests):
- Majdanek camp was located right on the city limits of Lublin; people could see directly into the camp from the higher houses in the city;
- Treblinka camp was located 240 m from a major rail line, 270 m from a major road, and 800 m from the village of the same name;
- Auschwitz camp complex was located in an industrial area. The inmates worked side by side with civilian workers who returned to their homes every evening (2). Prisoners were constantly being transferred from Auschwitz to other camps (3). Finally, there were also great numbers of releases (4). If there was any place in Europe where an assembly-line industrialized mass extermination programme could not have been kept secret for as long as two weeks, then that place was Auschwitz; news of the atrocities would have spread across Europe and the world like wildfire.
What good would is it to issue extermination orders orally, employ camouflaged language, and destroy all the incriminating documents before the end of the war, if you are going to be stupid enough to commit your "extermination" right out in the open, where everybody can see it?
Again, the story is simply not believable.
Innumerable documents show clearly how desperately the National Socialists needed manpower throughout the entire war. According to the Holocaust scholars, this is supposed to have been the reason why the Jews at Auschwitz and Majdanek were only gassed if they couldn't work, while those who could work were utilized by the hundreds of thousands. But then why did the Germans gas many hundreds of thousands of able-bodied people in the "pure" extermination camps?
If the "unfit" were gassed at Auschwitz without being registered, then there shouldn't be any evidence of the registration of elderly people. In reality, very many elderly people were registered in the camp. Fig. I shows the death certificates of Josef Hoffmann, a Jew, born on 12 August 1852, and Ernestine Hochfelder, a Jewess, born on 11 February 1870. They were certainly too old to work; so why weren't they both to the gas chamber unregistered, immediately after selection on the ramp?
Of course, new born babies weren't able to work either; were they murdered right after birth? Not at all; the Polish midwife Stanaslawa Lesczczynska, in particular, reports (5):
"I delivered under these [disgusting] circumstances over 3,000 children. Despite the terrible filth, the vermin, the rats, despite the infectious diseases and indescribable horrors, something extraordinary, unbelievable, but true occurred. One day, the camp doctor ordered me to prepare a report on infections in maternity cases, as well as the death rate among mothers and infants. I replied that there had never been any deaths, either among mothers or newborn. The camp doctor looked at me with astonishment, and told me they couldn't have boasted better results even in the best German hospitals."
The conscientious midwife would no doubt hardly have failed to mention it if the infants delivered by her at the cost of so-much dedication and self-sacrifice had been immediately murdered after birth. Many Jews who were to become famous in later life, like Elie Wiesel, Anne Frank, and Roman Polanski lived as children in Auschwitz, without any risk of being gassed.
The following possibilities would have been available as rational killing methods for mass extermination:
- shooting (a la Stalin);
- starvation (a la Eisenhower);
- use of wood-gas generator vehicles, used in the hundreds of thousands during WWII (not to be confused with the mythical "gas vans"!). These vehicles used only wood as fuel. Their generator gases contained up to 40% carbon monoxide, which is quickly fatal. The use of these gas autos for mass murder has never even been claimed (6).
Instead, the Germans selected the most idiotic murder weapon that one can possibly think of:
- Diesel exhaust gas contains 16% oxygen, which is enough to breathe and survive on, but only very small quantities of CO. To kill people with them is extremely difficult. An ordinary gasoline motor -- not to speak of the above mentioned gas autos -- would be a hundred times more efficient as a murder weapon. It's not by chance that only Diesel engines are used in the Channel Tunnel between France and England; Diesel exhaust gases would not endanger the passengers in the event of an accident;
- the insecticide Zyklon B, the properties of which will be discussed later, contains hydrocyanic acid. Zyklon B was urgently needed to combat lice, which carried typhus. Zyklon B was always in short supply, and very expensive. As a murder weapon, it is very unsuitable. One can, of course, kill people with it, but it is very difficult to ventilate, clings to surfaces, and would cause insurmountable problems in elimination.
If the Holocaust story is true, the perpetrators must have been technical geniuses, because they succeeded in murdering millions of people in record time, and in destroying the bodies without a trace. These same technical geniuses are then supposed to have used the most unlikely murder weapons that one could imagine!
Again: not believable.
According to the Holocaust horror pedlars, the Germans gassed 600,000 Jews in Belzec in 10 months, and 900,000 in Treblinka in 13 months. Belzec was then closed in December 1942, and Treblinka was closed in September 1943. Why didn't they keep these death camps running? They could have killed another 2.5 million Jews by the end of 1944, and the installation of gas chambers at Birkenau would have been completely unnecessary.
It should be noted that, according to Hoess, Himmler had declared the existing "death camps in the East" in the summer of 1941 were "inefficient". But these same "extermination camps" didn't even exist yet, since they were only put into operation, according to Holocaust scholars, in December 1941.
This proves that Rudolf Hoess's confession was not voluntarily given, and lacks all probative value.
Let us, however, stick with Auschwitz. This "largest of all extermination camps" contained hospitals, a swimming pool, a sauna, sports installations, theatrical events, and concerts.
- the main camp crematorium, the morgue of which is supposed to have been used as a "gas chamber", was located 15 m from a hospital (no. 7 in Fig. II). There was also a swimming pool, which one can still visit today (no. 17 in Fig. II);
- Birkenau, the alleged centre of the extermination of the Jews, also had hospitals (no. 16 in Fig. III), as well as a sauna (no. 10 in Fig. III. There was also a delousing station in this sauna, operated with hot air);
- the existence of delousing chambers operated with Zyklon B (no. 20 in Fig. II) is not disputed by anyone. In many reports of former inmates, one can read that new arrivals were immediately subjected to a delousing procedure;
- the existence of orchestras, not only in Auschwitz but in all other "extermination camps", is confirmed by a source which is certainly above suspicion, namely, the Enzyklopaedie des Holocaust (7);
- the Jewish professor of medicine and Auschwitz inmate Marc Klein reports (8):
"To the noisy applause of the onlookers, football, basketball, and water ball was played on Sunday afternoon: Man needs very little to distract him from impending danger! The SS administration permitted the inmates regular amusement, even on weekday evenings. A cinema offered Nazi news and sentimental films; a cabaret offered shows which were often attended by SS men. Finally, there was a very respectable orchestra, initially made up of Polish musicians, but which gradually came to consist of top quality musicians of all nationalities, most of whom were Jews."
Hospitals, saunas, and delousing chambers are intended to protect health. They therefore serve to prolong life; they are most unlikely to shorten life. What are they doing in an "extermination camp"? What are swimming pools, football games, cabarets and orchestras, consisting mostly of Jews, doing in a camp the chief purpose of which was to exterminate the Jews of Europe?
Not to put too fine a point on it, the story is simply not believable.
Belzec, Sobibor and Treblinka, where approximately 1.85 million Jews were gassed according to the exterminationists, are known to have had no crematoria. The bodies are said to have been burned in the open and disappeared without a trace. Why didn't they use the same methods of open-air cremation at Auschwitz if they were so successful -- instead of building expensive crematoria?
Not to put too fine a point on it, the story is simply not believable.
Our study could end here, since it is already clear that the court historians and media hacks simply dish up stories the abysmal idiocy of which is an impudent insult to every thinking person.
We shall nevertheless examine the evidence for the Holocaust and the gas chambers in the following chapters. In so doing, we will heed the principle, which is generally recognized in jurisprudence, that there is a hierarchy of proof. This means that physical evidence must be considered the most reliable, and eyewitness testimony the least reliable; while documentary evidence occupies a position midway between the other two methods of proof (9).
1) Rudolf Hoess, Kommandant in Auschwitz. Published by Martin Broszat, dtv, 1985,p. 157.
2) Jean-Claude Pressac, Die Krematorien von Auschwitz, Piper, 1995, pp. 70/71.
3) The best known example is Anne Frank, who was transferred from Auschwitz to Bergen-Belsen.
4) Walter Lacqueur states in his book, Was niemand willen wollte (Ullstein, 1982, pp. 210/211) that 982 inmates were released in 1942; a few more releases took place in 1943, and in 1944, at the intervention of the industrialist Oskar Schindler, numerous Jewesses were released. In reality, the number of releases was many times higher; compare, in this regard, our notes at the end of the next chapter.
5) Comite international d'Auschwitz, Anthologie, vol.II, 2nd part, pp. 164/165.
6) Compare Friedrich Paul Berg "Die Dieselgaskammer: Mythos im Mythos", in Ernst Gauss, Grundlagen zur Zeitgeschichte, p. 338 ff.
7) Enzyklopaedie des Holocaust, p. 979.
8) Marc Klein, "Observations et Reflexions sur les camps de concentration nazis", excerpt from the publication Etudes Germaniques, no. 3, Imprimerie Caron et Cie., Caen, 1948, p. 31.
9) On the hierarchy of methods of proof, see Manfred Koehler, Professor Ernst Nolte: Auch Holocaust Luegen haben kurze Beine, Cromwell Press, 1994.
Back to table of contents
To the next chapter
To previous chapter
Back to archive